What is the Full form of Wi-fi?
Today, we live in a tech-savvy world, which is incomplete without running wi-fi. But, what is wi-fi full form? Let’s learn more in detail. Wi-fi is a kind of technology where we achieve network connection via radio waves. A wireless router is essential to enable the connection to various devices such as laptops and mobiles. Although the common belief is that the term wi-fi is derived from “Wireless Fidelity”, however, it is, in fact, a trademarked term, which means IEEE 802.11x and is a name that has been given to wireless network technology. The subscribed data’s size can broadcast from anywhere between 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz.
Types of Wi-fi
Now that you know what is the full form of wi-fi, it is time to learn about types of wi-fi. Keep reading.
There are four main types of wi-fi technology. They are;
1. Wi-fi- 802.11a: This type of wi-fi defines the radio signals’ format and structure.
2. Wi-fi- 802.11b: 11b is a low-frequency wi-fi, supporting a bandwidth up to 11 Mbps.
3. Wi-fi- 802.11g: This is a much newer technology and can support a bandwidth of up to 54 Mbps.
4. Wi-fi- 802.11n: 11 n is the newest wi-fi technology, and it supports 100 Mbps bandwidth.
Application of Wi-fi
Wi-fi full form long form includes IEEE as mentioned before. Today, wi-fi is common and is present in schools, offices, and homes. With the help of a local area wireless networking technology, which enables the exchange of data via radio waves, wi-fi helps provide high-speed wireless internet. Some of the most common applications of wi-fi include;
- Sharing of files between two or more devices
- Sharing of internet across various devices
- It enables the transfer of files to the printer from computers, laptops, and smartphones
- It helps stream audio to wireless speakers
- Streams media files from smartphones to smart TV
- It allows the use of smartphones as a remote control
How does wi-fi networks work?
Wi-fi technology is based on a concept where devices communicate with each other via a wireless network. The whole wi-fi connection is formed with the help of radio waves, and to establish the connection, you will require a wireless router, where the internet is cable with the help of ISPs or Internet service providers.
Advantage of Wi-fi
Wi-fi is a significant advantage because we don’t require cables and wires to use the internet in homes, offices, and schools. A variety of devices can be connected to a single wi-fi router. Other advantages include;
- It is convenient
- Enhances productivity as it is uncomplicated to use
- It is cost-effective
Pros of Wi-fi
- You don’t need wires or cables and is connected via a wireless router
- Multiple devices can be easily connected on one single router
- It is not very expensive
- Makes connectivity to the internet easier
Cons of wi-fi
- It is not as safe as a wired connection, and the threat of hacking is always looming
- Speed can differ when compared to wired connection
- If multiple devices are connected, the speed of the internet can decrease
- The typical range of a wi-fi can be constrained to 20 meters
- To enhance the capacity of wi-fi, additional repeaters and access points become necessary, which is a complicated process
How is Wi-fi useful in everyone’s life?
With the help of wi-fi technology, your life becomes more comfortable, increasing your productivity and making work easier. It is also helpful for entertainment as you can stream quality content on your tablets, phones, or computers. Wi-fi has something in store for everyone and makes life uncomplicated.